As the daughter of immigrant parents, Mia understands the importance of sound immigration policy. The US has been both economically and culturally enriched by the determination, strength, and diversity of immigrants who have sought better lives on American soil. Mia supports legal immigration, and has fought for an immigration system that facilitates the American dream and incentivizes would-be immigrants to arrive through the proper channels. She has worked hard, and will work even harder, to secure the US border, prevent visa overstays and abuses, and modernize the outdated legal immigration system.
The following represent a few of the actions Mia has taken as well as her proposals to fix the broken system:
• She has strongly opposed the President’s unilateral action to override the US immigration laws, because such overreach threatens the system of government, the rule of law, and sends the wrong message to immigrants
• She has supported, and will continue to support, legislation to ensure enforcement agencies are equipped to secure our border, thereby protecting the nation from potential security threats such as ISIS
• She will continue working to prevent visa overstays, which account for nearly 40% of the illegal immigration in the country
• She will push for the implementation of an entry-exit tracking system, which has been mandated by law for years
•She has supported, and will continue to support, legislation to create an entrepreneur visa, creating a process for skilled international entrepreneurs to start small businesses and hire American workers on United States soil
• She has supported skilled visa reforms that will lead to a fair and equitable immigration process and will allow international students who graduate from U.S. colleges to contribute their skills to American companies, instead of foreign companies